The Crisis Facing Boys & Girls Clubs of Northeast Texas
COVID-19 is affecting families in Northeast Texas in a variety of ways:
- 1 in 4 children face IMMEDIATE food insecurity
- 24% live at or below the poverty line and face potential job losses
- Many are isolated at home in this crisis
Parents are concerned about their kids, their jobs, their futures
- I have children and parents to care for? What if I get sick?
- What if I lose my job and can’t pay my rent or buy groceries?
- If our kids do not go back to school “soon” how will I be able to work?
- How will my kids keep learning?
How Boys & Girls Clubs of Northeast Texas Is Responding
FOOD AND NUTRITION
- Kids who rely on the dinner & snack programs at the Club will be able to access healthy meals at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Northeast Texas. Meals are available for pick up at the Reecy Davis and Rockwall Clubs from 5-6pm on Monday-Friday. Youth will also receive weekend snack bags to take home.
- We are strengthening our virtual programming to ensure kids are still learning in the out-of-school time through targeted and engaging activities. Every week, our highly trained youth development professionals create downloadable supplemental programming (free of charge) that addresses academic needs, healthy lifestyle concerns, prevention programming, and, more than anything, connects the kids that need us most with the staff that they look forward to seeing every day.
- We are also working to hand out weekend supply bags for youth to have the materials needed at home, to complete the activities that we are supplying.
- Though, due to COVID-19, we cannot connect in person, we are working to implement a daily Facebook Live program where our staff will lead youth through a structured program or activity. This not only will provide stability for our youth, but support and connection for our parents and families as well.
- We are also actively working with local partners to find ways to meet needs and advocate for youth as things unfold.
- Staff members are calling current Club members families at home so they can hear a familiar voice and have someone to talk to during this scary time. For kids who do not have cell phones, this can be a lifeline.
- Club members can utilize the online platforms such as Myclubmylife.com and Myfuture.com for safe, social interaction online.
Overcoming This Crisis Together
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Northeast Texas will re-open once we know it is safe to do so. In the meantime, kids and teens need us now more than ever before and our organization has responded with innovative programs to meet their needs.
When we do reopen, we will have a huge job ahead of us – to get the kids of Northeast Texas back on track to their great future. We will have to stem learning losses and make sure kids do not slip through the cracks.Long-term, our Club will be vital to rebuilding our community. For parents and families getting back on their feet, the Club will save them money when funds have never been tighter, provide a safe place for their children to go while they are working, and offer an evening meal or snack for low or no cost. For kids, the Club will restore a feeling of safety that has been lost as they face empty grocery store shelves, sick friends and neighbors, school cancellations, and the 24-hour news cycle. Club programs, will get kids back on track. And maybe most importantly, at the Club, kids and teens will get to be kids again: playing with friends, spending time with mentors and heroes, watching guest speakers, and going on field trips
Will You Stand with Us to Support the Kids of Northeast Texas?
Your gift can go even further as we respond to our community in crisis. We have received a matching gift of $40,000 - so your gift will make TWICE the impact today. Gifts can be mailed to PO Box 1876, Greenville, TX 75403 or can be made online at www.begreatnext.org. We need your support now more than ever!
Your gift of:
- $50 Provides 1 Weekend Snack & Supply Bag during the COVID-19 crisis
- $100 Provides 10 hours of Training for Staff during the COVID-19 crisis
- $500 Supports employee & family assistance during the COVID-19 crisis
- $1000 Supports Virtual Programming & Supplemental Educational Packets during the COVID-19 crisis
In these uncertain times, two things are for sure- kids need Boys & Girls Clubs, and Boys & Girls Clubs need YOU.